Make a FIPPA complaint
A complaint to Manitoba Ombudsman under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) must be made in writing.
Complaint About Access
Use the FIPPA access complaint form (on the right side of this page) if you would like to make a complaint about the way a public body has handled your access to information request. Or you may write a letter or email to the ombudsman with details about your complaint.
Complaint About Privacy or Correction
Use the FIPPA-PHIA privacy and correction complaint form (on the right side of this page) if you would like to make a complaint about:
- the way a public body or trustee has handled your personal or personal health information
- a request you made to a public body or trustee about correcting your personal or personal health information
Or you may write a letter or email to the ombudsman with details about your complaint.
Time Limits for Complaints
Under FIPPA, most complaints must be made to our office within 60 days after the person complaining is notified of the decision. There are a few exceptions that include:
- No response complaint: A complaint that a public body has failed to respond to an access request must be made to the ombudsman within 120 days after the request was made to the public body
- Third party intervention: A complaint by a third party about a public body's decision to give access must be made within 21 days after the third party is notified of the public body’s decision to give access under section 33 of FIPPA
- Privacy complaints: There is no time limit for making a privacy complaint under FIPPA. However, it is important to know that the ombudsman may decide not to investigate if too much time has passed as it may not be practical to investigate.
Where to Send Your Complaint
Please send your complaint to Manitoba Ombudsman in one of the following ways:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: 750-500 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg MB, R3C 3X1
- Fax: (204) 942-7803
You are encouraged to contact our office at 204-982-9130 or toll free 1-800-665-0531 to speak with a member of our Intake Services team about what information to provide in making your FIPPA complaint.